Setup a community for people of colour who would like to move into senior leadership positions

Hi All,

I would like to setup a community for people of colour who want to look into promotion into senior leadership positions in the eResearch sector. I have noticed that at the senior leadership level there is a distinct lack of cultural diversity.

You might remember I gave a talk at eResearch Australasia in 2019 about how organisations could improve their diversity. It was called “Capability Maturity Model for Diversity in Organisations” (link to slides and attached) and I talked about how the lack of opportunities for people from marginalised groups over time reduces employability, especially at the senior leadership positions. I then talked about how you can solve this, by giving people from marginalised groups more opportunities to make up for their lost opportunities.

The feedback I received from the talk was so positive I felt I had to take it further. One way I was thinking of taking it further was by setting up a community for people of colour who were keen to move into senior management. I could then connect them up with potential mentors and senior recruitment executives and use the framework described in the talk for helping to increase the proportion of people of colour in senior leadership across eResearch.

The reason I’m choosing people of colour, over say, disability or LBGTQI is because of my own circumstances and because I feel that this has been under-represented in the diversity space.

Is this something that strikes a chord with anyone else?

If so, please let me know and I can keep you in the loop.

Regards,

Rowland.

1 Like

Hi All,

I decided to setup a meetup here:

Please share with anyone you think might be interested in mentoring or in being mentored.

Rowland.

1 Like

This is a great followup to your session Rowland! I assume it’s a group open to New Zealanders too? If so, I’ll share across some NeSI channels as well!

I’m happy for you to share that Jana. It might be useful to gauge needs throughout both nations.

1 Like