Position: HPC and Cloud DevOps Engineer
Organisation: NIWA (National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research)
Closing Date: 01 November 2020
To view the full job posting or to apply online, visit the Science New Zealand Careers page.
NIWA has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Systems Engineer to make a significant contribution to the New Zealand research landscape by working within the New Zealand eScience Infrastructure (NeSI).
You will support and further develop an HPC infrastructure and platform which delivers a wide range of services. You will help to ensure the delivery of a flexible and robust computational environment for scientific research whilst maintaining a stable platform for delivery of NIWA operations and NeSI’s business systems. Our team is trusted to build the systems that run our newest cutting-edge platforms that power the New Zealand research community.
As part of a small, ambidextrous team, your role will at times necessitate working on all key components of NIWA/NeSI’s HPC platforms, and as such there are significant professional development opportunities available for the right candidate.
We are looking for the following skills and experience:
- A recognised relevant tertiary qualification, e.g., in computing and/or other sciences.
- At least five years’ experience in the operation, and implementation of services based on Linux and/or Unix, preferably with some having been mission-critical services.
- Familiarity with Python.
- Understanding of container technologies and related management of Container-as-a-Service.
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience applying CI/CD tools and techniques to the management of infrastructure (Ansible, Jenkins, etc) and DevOps methodologies.
- Excellence in troubleshooting, root cause analysis and a cool head in the face of a technical problems and challenges.
This position would be based in Wellington, New Zealand.